Monday, April 26, 2010

Mr. Right Now

For the record, I’ve been married – to the same man – for over 22 years. Gulp. Which means I was married at age 7 of course. So I have NO memory of what it’s like to be single, except for what my gal pals tell me. And what I see on reality TV shows.

After T left “fauch face” – yeah, that’s his nickname – she became really good friends with a nice guy who owned his own house, had a good job, was very reliable, but didn’t like going out. Sure, hanging out with his next door neighbor drinking beer and watching a game is fine, but that aint going out. T likes to party. And I don’t mean that in a par-tay type of way. She likes to get all cha cha, with eyeliner, heels, and big hair. And she’s got the hair (secretly we all hate her.)

I met him once. He seemed bored. T is bubbly, he was not, so when the friendship eventually turned into something more, I started thinking of him as Mr. Right Now. I started saying it out loud when T hinted they were getting closer. I know, I know – I’m a buzz kill.

I don’t think I’ve ever known T to not have a guy in her life. Even back in the early 80s there was always some random dude hanging on her every word. We’d go to the rink wearing our patent white leather closed-toe pumps, with the 501s we converted to skinny jeans, and lots of criss-crossing belts, reeking of Aviance Night Musk cologne and bubble gum. Even then, the pimply boys of our youth constantly tripped over T and her big hair. They couldn’t do enough – bought her Diet Tab and nachos, drove her to all the after-parties. And never minded that she was not devoted back.

Which is why I didn’t want her settling for Mr. Right Now. She did that with fauch face and all she got from that marriage is a lingering smell of rotting relationship and the memory of her pre-child body, when her boobs were firm and pert. Oh and two beautiful kids but that’s not quite the point I’m trying to make.

If Mr. Right Now could get off the couch, put down the can (including the one with the homemade bong hole), put on some real shoes and show an interest outside the garage, this might be a different story. He was a great Mr. Right Now though. He got her through a very tough first few months after the breakup, and she got him some really cool dress shirts.

And while the romance did eventually give way to reality, T learned that sometimes all you really need is the here and Mr. Right Now.

2 comments:

  1. What if he isn't Mr. Right now? What if he is her future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He might be - she'll know for sure after she's figured out what she wants her future to be and who to include. He's still in her life, just not in the same way he once was. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete